I got up early and got my motivation on at the Jeff Galloway Marathon Training kickoff meeting. This was my second time hearing him speak and wow! Best running motivational speaker ever! I’m already signed up for the Thunder Road Marathon in November but after today, I’ve got my sights set on a 50k as well. Look out Google. I’ll be searching you soon and seeing if I can find a 50K race to coincide with my training schedule.
Why a 50k you ask? Well, Jeff says that one of the best things that can help you get faster is to run longer. Jeff already has a 26 mile training run in his marathon training schedule. And he says veteran runners shooting for time goals will benefit greatly by running even longer. 29-30 miles or more! Jeff mentioned one person took over a half hour off his marathon time by running longer training distances. Oh, no! Has the ultra bug just nibbled at my toe? I sure hope not!
My friends, I’ve just looked it up and 50k = 31.0686 miles
If you’ve been a reader here at A Handful of Spinach for long, you know that I am obsessed about getting faster. I want to qualify for Boston and to do that, I’ve got to drop over 47 minutes off my best marathon time. Hey, if Matt can do it, I can too right?! I’m not really trying to hack my way in to Boston, but I am looking at doing all I can to get there. So here we go. This is my plan. This year at Thunder Road, I need to run a 4:30! There. I’ve said it. It’s out there. Now to put in the work and get it done. 4:30 won’t get me to Boston this year but it will move me in the right direction. Next year I can shoot for 4:15 and then before you know it, I can sneak in under 4:00 and qualify. Jeff Galloway is almost 69 and he just ran a 4:09 and qualified again and ran Boston last month. And, he did it by running insanely short intervals.
My plan is as follows:
- Pray and put God first and never let running be my God
- Lose weight. I’m already back down to my 2010 marathon weight and I’m hoping to drop a good deal more. What I’m leaning toward now is more of the Engine 2 philosophy. (When Rip climbed that fire poll with no legs and chanted, “Real men eat plants,” I was hooked!)
- Really run some good intervals and hill sprints every week. No junk miles!
- Strength train like crazy. I’m not going to go back to Cross Fit but I am promising to put in the time doing squats and core strength workouts. I have Jillian’s 30 Day Shred and I’ve already completed 3 days.
- Not just depend on 2 during the week moderate runs. I’m committing to running 4-5 days a week and going back to more of my 5-8-5-long schedules that worked back in OBX and Wrightsville.
Can you tell I’m motivated? It might have been the Galloway meeting. It might be because it’s my birthday and I feel better at 49 than I did at 29. Or it might have a little something to do with this awesome Banana, Peanut Butter, Chia Seed Smoothie. Wowzer! Who needs Cook-Out? I tell you this is it. Probably the best smoothie I’ve ever made!
Start with one cup of un-sweetened almond milk. Add one frozen banana, 1 TBSP PB2, 1 TBSP chia seeds, 1/3 cup Old Fashioned raw oats, and a few ice cubes. Whirl it up and enjoy!
Here’s to a great day everyone! In just a little while Ron, Andie, Jonathan, Mason, and Lydia are taking me to Fiction Kitchen for my birthday dinner. I hope I don’t jump out of my seat and embarrass everyone with the ultimate natural high I’m on.
I’m going to have to check out that PB2 and make sure Ron didn’t add any secret ingredients to that powder. LOL
Happy Running Friends!